My huawei mifi will end its 24 month contract with Sun Cellular soon and I will not extend it because we already have an internet connection at home (thanks to our friendly neighbour hihihi).
I seldom use this now and it’s more practical to use a pre-paid SIM instead and load up whenever I need it. I have only one problem; I can only use a Sun Cellular SIM!
Fortunately my friend has already unlocked his mifi and he helped unlocked mine. Here’s what we did.
Note: We used windows XP because there were issues encountered with Windows 7. You can try to run it as Administrator i.e. right click file > properties > compatibility > select “windows xp service pack 2? and tick the “Run as Administrator” box. Thanks to Techgirl for clarifying
Applications to install:
- QMAT – this is used to read the code from the device and save it into file (http://www.mediafire.com/download/rtp0mtkiee9sv3b/QCMobileAnalysisToolV5.06.rar
- Extract Test – Will be used to read the code from Qmat. (http://tp.lc.ehu.es/anonym/win95/extxt103.exe)
- Unlocker – An executable file used to input code to unlock your huawei mifi. (http://www.dc-files.com/files/huawei/modems/E5832s/other/CardLock_UnLock.exe)
After you have installed all the necessary programs we can now start unlocking your device huawei portable wifi.
- Remove SIM and connect your device to PC
- Open QMAT and go to Hardware Forensics > Use Mobile Ports
- From QC Com Diag window select HUAWEI Mobile Connect – 3G Application Interface.
- From diag command select 00 and click SEND – if it’s successfully connected you should get numbers and characters as below and “Successfully send command” message.
- From Diag Functions select Read EFS from dropdown and tick Alternative Method then click Lets Go – After this you will be asked to save the log file.
- You should see “successfully read EFS” message from text box.
- Open extract text, go to text options and configure it as below
- Open log file created in QMAT then enter filename to save as
- From the extracted text, copy the last one or the first one or the number that appears only once. one of them is your unlock code! You can use notepad++ to easily track repeated numbers if you want
- Open card unlocker, enter code from step 9 and click OK.
Your portable modem should be unlocked now, congratulations! Test it with a different SIM.
If you prefer to watch the video tutorial instead, watch the video I made below. Goodluck!